Scout Mini Camera Box
As low as $499.00
The Scout Mini Camera Box is the smallest version of Scout Camera Box available. It offers everything you will ever need in a camera trapping camera box. This starts with wireless communication with the Scout receiver, Scout PIR, Scout Flashes and LED video lights. Say good bye to nibbled wires ruining your trail monitors.
This system is configured using your mobile device (iPhone or Android) for easy in field configuration.
The box is built around an IP67 waterproof enclosure for maximum protection for your action cam. It has slots for two battery packs, either AA or Li-Ion for extended deployments. It also has an on board power supply for your camera allowing it to be powered from the camera box battery packs. Keeping with Cognisys tradition the box is fully configurable allowing you to program wake-up times for 1/2 press, full press and a variety of other settings.
- Camera Box and Camera Controller
- Built in Battery Y cable
- Battery pack - (choose AA or Li-Ion)
- GoPro compatible camera mount - 1/4-20 - Box side
Camera, Security Cable and batteries not included.
About the Scout Mini Camera Box
The Scout Mini Camera Box is the latest addition to the Scout line of camera trapping products. The Scout Mini Camera Box is compatible with the rest of the Scout sensors and wireless accessories. This box was designed to house an action cam and allow the easy capture of B-roll footage or as a main camera in tight locations. It is also an ideal choice for long duration time lapse movies where the stock action cam battery just won't cut it.
Scout Mini Camera Box Features
- Fully weatherproof housing for your action cam and additional batteries.
- Compatible with any camera that will fit inside the box and can be triggered with a wired shutter release. The GoPro Hero 10 Bones and Sony RX0 II are the two most popular options.
- Wifi (802.11 a/b/g/n) connectivity to your computer, tablet, or phone to adjust all of the settings.
- Built in Battery Y cable - allows for connection of two Li-Ion batteries with no extra battery Y cable.
- 1/4-20 Mounting holes in the base for easy mounting
- Wireless connectivity to other Scout products:
- Camera controller sends wireless "fire" signal to the Scout Flashes
- Customizable camera control (number of pictures, time windows, length of video, etc).
- Camera flash sync input.
- External Power connector.
- Complex multiple triggering options (for example):
- PIR #2 activates lighting bank on the right
- Receiver #1 starts video recording
- Receiver #2 takes several still photographs
- Time-lapse feature.
- Shot limiter - Can limit the number of shots to reduce nuisance triggers (curious squirrels).
- Supply power to your camera from the Scout Camera Box Batteries with the optional Dummy Battery Packs.
- Multiple ¼-20 tripod mounts.
- Battery packs can be doubled up for long-term deployments.
- Security features for python cables and locks.
- The camera box is vented with an ePTFE waterproof membrane to prevent pressure from developing inside the box. This dramatically improves seal performance and life.
- USB enabled for reprogramming firmware.
Camera Box Mount
The Scout Mini Camera Box includes a robust aluminum mounting plate with three 1/4-20 Mounting holes. Attach an Arca Plate to allow easy mounting to a ball head.
Configure With your Phone
Need to make configuration changes to the camera box. For this you can use your mobile device that you are already carrying with you (iPhone or Android). Using the same app as the standard Scout Camera Box you can change all of the settings for the Scout Mini Camera Box, this includes: shutter timing, wake-up signals, power management, hours you want the system active as well as any shot limits you want to add. Even the settings for your Scout Receiver and lighting can be set up through this interface.
Camera Box Dimensions (length x depth x height)
Dimensions with box feet down:
Inside Box Dimensions: 7.60" x 5.00" x 3.15" (193 x 127 x 80 mm)
Outside Box Dimensions: 8.5" x 7.1" x 4.0" (216 x 180 x 102 mm)
When using the RX0 only one Scout battery can be used in the Scout Mini Camera Box. The shutter interface cable exits the back of this camera using space normally occupied by the second Li-Ion battery.
The Scout Mini Camera Box has been tested with the Sony RX0 Mk II and the GoPro Hero 10 Black Bones. A few considerations for each of the cameras: Sony RX0 Mk II: requires the Sony Video Switch to activate movie recording and can be used with the factory battery or a RX0 Dummy Battery. When using the RX0 only one Li-Ion battery can be used in the Scout Mini Camera Box, the shutter interface cable for the RX0 exits the rear of the camera and uses space from the second battery. GoPro Bones: The Scout Mini Camera Box includes the cable for the GoPro Bones, the cable provides power and activates the shutter. The Bones does not have a battery so it must be powered by the Camera Box. Two Li-Ion batteries can be used in the Scout Mini Camera Box when using the Bones camera.
Top Customer Questions and Answers (FAQ)
Camera Box Specifications
|Input Current–Full on (*AA batteries/Li-Ion pack)
|Input Current–Sleep(8AA batteries / Li-Ion pack)
|Shutter/Aux Output Current Sink
|Battery life (internal - Eneloop batteries at 25C)
|Real-time clock life without batteries
- 32-bit power optimized ARM Processor
- Wifi 802.11 a/b/g/n
- Wireless connectivity: Proprietary 2.4GHz
- Real-time clock for time-windowed triggering (two windows provided)
- Powered by 8 AA batteries, Li-Ion battery pack, or external power
- Power for camera (with optional dc coupler / dummy battery)
- Camera flash sync input
- All outputs are open drain (Can be used for flash, shutter, or relays)
- USB for reprogramming
Roy Dunn goes into detail on how to set up both a video and still camera trap at the same site -
Want to use the Scout Camera Box for video - this post will show you the cable you need as well a
Learn how to connect your camera and flashes to the Scout Camera Box.
How to use the Camera Box Aux Output to wake up your external speedlight flashes.
Tom Mason walks through setting up a camera traps in Peru. Tom talks through the equipment
Connecting the Camera Box
Camera Box Accessories:
Customer Videos Captured with Scout
Customer Images Captured with the Scout Camera Trapping System